Monday, October 4, 2010

A Welcome Party

I had been planning and getting ready for the welcome reception in Manteo throughout the trip – before I left home I trawled through lots of our photos of Bideford, the arts community and artwork, the natural environment, Bideford 500 Heritage activities and hiking / landscape images. This would form a slidehow of pics for the Manteo folk to see what Bideford is like. I had also written some bullet points of what to talk about and had copied lots of information from various sources, including our own Experiencedevon website, as I know that the Americans love statistics and factual information and they always have theirs at their fingertips. I was also feeling a little daunted by the prospect of the whole thing – I didn't know what to expect, how formal or informal it would be or how many would be there.

I had been in touch with both local artist and restaurateur Sharon Enoch, and Laura Martier, Executive Director of Dare County Arts Council a few times before I left Bideford. Sharon had very kindly offered to organise a reception for my arrival and the Arts Council agreed to host us at their venue.

We arrived earlier in the afternoon to say hello and find out where the reception was. Dave and I were greeted very warmly by the staff, Laura Martier and Fay Davies (Gallery Director) and volunteers and I felt instantly at ease with the space – the Arts Council have just moved into the Old Courthouse and is a fabulous space, with a series of gallery rooms and a corridor downstairs and the Courtroom upstairs which will be used for classes and special events. I was also relieved to find there were no huge rooms for me to speak 'to' later on!

The reception was from 6-8pm and went very well, there were about 20 people there and we had wine, beer and some food which was wonderful and all catered by Sharon's Full Moon Restaurant. The lumpy crabcakes were to die for. I did a speech (without photos) and made sure that I covered why I was here, what I was researching and some key points about the arts connection and what I was hoping would happen in the future – mainly to set up some arts exchange activity and in the future an exchange programme between Bideford and Manteo. It was received very warmly and positively. Dave also talked a bit about his own work as a photographer, the networking artists networks for Bideford Bay Creatives (as the group were awarded a 'Go and See' bursary for this purpose) and the postcard project idea that Bideford Bay Creatives wish to do – exchanging handmade postcards between artists and exhibiting them at Appledore Visual Arts fest in 2011.

I met some great people, (lots of artists, the President of the Arts Council Board, the Mayor, someone who works on the replica Elizabeth 11 ship and is very knowledgeable about local history), and got a couple of leads to follow up for possible pottery finds, the main one being to go and talk to Scott Dawson at Buxton, on Hatteras Island, he has been involved in an archaeological dig there and has sherds. More on this later when I have been to see him! The Mayor and his wife, Jamie and Nadine Daniels were very eager to see plenty of us and make sure we get what we need from our trip. It was also a great opportunity to publicly thank not only Sharon and Laura but also Carl Curnutte from the Elizabethan Gardens for arranging our lovely accommodation at Fort Raleigh National Park.

The only regret is that Dave and I were so busy talking that we both forgot to take pictures of the evening or me doing my speech, but Fay Davies, Dare County Arts Council Gallery Director took photos - we haven't seen them yet but when we do we'll get a copy and I'll post them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment